Thursday 16 January 2014

Pearl Barley Risotto Recipe

Ok, so I know Risotto is made with Arborio Rice but this look and tastes just as good...and I'm not creative enough to invent my own name for this dish. If I could put my finger on one of the biggest fads that happens this time of year, it wouldn't be adding tartan to your Winter wardrobe, oh no..it would be making New Years resolutions to shake off those Christmas pounds. Everyone can try and be healthier and get that weight off but it's made a hell of a lot of easier when your latest obsession is a healthy, tasty one. If you want a meal which is packed full of protein, low on the carbs and sugars and has lots of fibre goodness then give this one a go. It's got my mum's Weight Watchers seal of approval.

B.x


Ingredients (I don't use any precise measurements, if any at all! Just chuck it all in, make some for lunch tomorrow)
  • Chicken breast
  • Pearl Barley
  • Butternut Squash
  • Red Pepper
  • Risotto Paste
  • Spinach
  • Lime
  • Goats Cheese
  • Garlic
  • Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
Method

1. First get your water boiling! Pearly Barley takes a silly amount of time to cook ( I never said this was quick) about 25-30 minutes or until the Barley turns slightly transparent. Once the water has boiled put in your Barley.

2. Next thing you need to do, whilst the water is boiling, is to prepare your roasted veg. Chop up Butternut Squash and Pepper in to small chunks so they can roast easily. On a small baking tray add your veg, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, salt & pepper and a generous (but not too generous) amount of oil. Give this a swish around with a spoon, or your hands as I do, and put this in the oven about 5-10 minutes after the Barley has reached the boil.

3. Next it's time for the Chicken. Using kitchen foil, hand craft some little parcels on a baking tray. Like little nests for your Chicken, no pun intended. Add the Risotto sauce to the parcel. When this cooks down and steam gathers in the parcel it will turn into a rich creamy sauce for your Chicken to cook away in. This goes in at the same time as the veg, unless it's a small breast. *no Chicken's were offended in the making of this blog post*

4. After this I prepare my Spinach. Give it a good wash and let it drain. There's nothing worse than soggy Spinach. Add this to a glass bowl. I don't "wilt" my Spinach because I can never seem to get it right...and like I said there's nothing worse than soggy Spinach. I find adding the rest of the hot ingredients to the bowl later does the job just fine.

5. Once the Pearl Barley has cooked, strain it and add it to the bowl of spinach and give it a good stir! Once you have checked that your veg is nice and tender and just starting to caramalise on the edges then chuck that in to mix too. Keep stirring!  

6. Check that your Chicken is cooked. There, I warned you, nobody can blame me for food poisoning. 

7. Unfold one end of your parcel and pour the sauce into the bowl with the rest of your cooked ingredients. This is where I like to add the lime. Half a life will do, just the juice. The acidity does a great job at cutting through the creamy sauce to make the meal really light and refreshing and even gives it a bit of heat. 

8. All you need to do now is plate up your dinner! Scoop a good amount onto a plate and gently balance your Chicken breast on top. Remember guys having a healthy diet is just as much about portion control as it is what you're actually eating. Everything in moderation. 

9. All that's left to do now is sprinkle on some tangy goats cheese, watch it ooze and grab a fork. Bon Appetite! 


No comments:

Post a Comment